Try serving this cute bite-sized dish at your next tea, and display it on a tiered tray for added elegance.
Downloads:French Onion Phyllo Cups
1 tablespoon butter
1 1/2 cups (1/4-inch-thick) sweet onion slices
1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
2 teaspoons water
3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons sour cream
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg*
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
30 mini phyllo shells†
Garnish: paprika and caper blossoms‡
• Heat a medium nonstick saucepan over medium-high heat. Add butter, stirring to melt. Add onions and ¼ teaspoon salt, stirring until onions are slightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add water. Cover, and cook until onions are tender and caramelized, approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
• Let onions cool slightly. Chop finely.
• In a medium bowl, combine onions, cream cheese, sour cream, mayonnaise, nutmeg, remaining ¼ teaspoon salt, and pepper, stirring well.**
• Divide mixture evenly among phyllo cups.
• Garnish each phyllo cup with paprika and a caper blossom, if desired.
• Serve immediately.
*Ground nutmeg may be substituted, but adjust measurement to ¼ teaspoon.
†We used Athens Mini Fillo Shells.
‡To make caper blossoms, add 1 inch canola oil to a saucepan. Heat to 350° over medium heat. Rinse caper berries in water, and pat dry. Fry caper berries in hot oil until berries open like flowers. Remove with a slotted spoon, and drain on paper towels.
**At this point, filling may be covered and refrigerated for up to a day. Use cold or at room temperature.