These orange-glazed raisin scones make the perfect fall treat that are also gluten-free.
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour*
1/3 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
2 1/4 teaspoons fresh orange zest, divided
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, 1 teaspoon orange zest, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add raisins, stirring to combine. Set aside.
• In a measuring cup, combine cream, egg, and vanilla extract, whisking to blend. Add cream mixture to flour mixture,
stirring by hand. Continue to work with hands until mixture comes together and forms a dough. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop scones 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until edges of scones are light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 18 to 20 minutes. Transfer scones to a wire rack. Let cool completely.
• In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar, remaining 11/4 teaspoons orange zest, and orange juice, whisking until smooth. Spoon glaze over scones.
*We used Glutino Gluten-Free Pantry All-Purpose Flour, which is available at glutino.com.
Make-Ahead Tip: Raisin-Orange Scones can be frozen raw on baking sheets up to a month in advance. Transfer frozen scones to a resealable plastic bag. Bake frozen scones on parchment-lined baking sheets, allowing an additional 5 to 10 minutes’ baking time.