Enjoy a taste of the tropics with fresh flavors of coconut and lime in this simple bite-sized treat.
Downloads:Key Lime–Coconut Macaroons
1 (14-ounce) package shredded, sweetened coconut
2/3 cup sugar
6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
4 large egg whites
1 recipe Key Lime Curd
(see Download for recipe)
Garnish: freshly grated lime zest
• Preheat oven to 325°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• Place coconut in the container of a food processor. Pulse 4 to 5 times until finely chopped.
• In a medium bowl, combine coconut, sugar, flour, and salt, whisking well. Add egg whites, stirring until incorporated.
• Using a levered 2-teaspoon scoop, drop coconut mixture 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheets. Using thumb or back of a rounded ½ teaspoon, press an indentation into each macaroon.
• Bake until set and light golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Remove macaroons to wire racks, and let cool completely. Store in airtight containers for up to 2 days.
• Thirty minutes before serving, divide Key Lime Curd evenly among indentations in macaroons.
• Garnish with fresh lime zest, if desired.