Sweet hazelnuts and rich dark chocolate make a supremely delicious combination in this gluten-free scone.
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour*
1/2 cup sugar
2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold salted butter
1/3 cup chopped, toasted hazelnuts
1/2 cup dark chocolate morsels†
1 1/4 cups plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Garnish: fresh raspberries and mint leaves
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add hazelnuts and chocolate, stirring to combine.
• In a small bowl, combine 1¼ cups cream and vanilla extract. Add to flour mixture, stirring until a dough forms. Continue to bring dough together in bowl, using hands. (If mixture seems dry and won’t come together, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.) Dough will be very stiff.
• Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead 2 to 3 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch square cutter, cut 24 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary.
• Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets.Brush tops with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
• Bake until edges are light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 17 minutes.
• Garnish with fresh raspberries and mint, if desired.
• Serve warm or at room temperature.
*We used Gluten Free Pantry all-purpose flour (glutino.com). Using another brand may yield different results. Sift or whisk flour before measuring.
†We used Ghirardelli 60% Cacao Dark Chocolate Baking Chips.