The tart flavors of lemon and herbal notes of fresh thyme combine perfectly in this delicious scone.
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cold salted butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
¼ teaspoon lemon extract
1 recipe Strawberry Curd
(see Download for recipe)
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray a 16-well mini scone pan* with nonstick spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well.
• Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add thyme and lemon zest, stirring well. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine 1 cup cream and lemon extract, stirring well. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring until a soft dough forms. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.)
• Divide dough evenly among wells of prepared scone pan. Brush each scone with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
• Bake until edges are light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out dry, approximately 24 minutes.
• Remove scones from pans. Serve immediately, or let cool on a wire rack.
• Serve with Strawberry Curd.
*We used a Nordic Ware Mini Scone Pan (nordicware.com).