Dainty mini cakes, filled with fresh flavors of lemon and topped with a light Lemon Glaze, are the perfect finishing touch to a lovely spring tea.
Downloads:Lemon-Buttermilk Mini Cakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup salted butter, softened
1/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon lemon extract
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
3 large eggs
1/2 cup whole buttermilk
1 recipe Lemon Glaze (see Download for recipe)
Garnish: candied lemon curls†
• Preheat oven to 325°.
• Spray 18 wells of 2 (12-well) mini fluted cake pans* with nonstick cooking spray with flour. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking soda, whisking well. Set aside.
• In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter, brown sugar, lemon extract, and lemon zest. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until creamy and smooth. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour mixture, scraping down sides of bowl as necessary.
• Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, fill 18 wells of prepared pans with batter. Tap pans firmly on countertop to level batter and reduce air bubbles.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 23 minutes.
• Remove cakes from pans to a wire rack. Let cool completely.
• Place wire rack over a rimmed baking sheet. Pour Lemon Glaze over cakes, and let dry completely.
• Store in an airtight container for up to 2 days until ready to serve.
*We used Wilton Mini Fluted Nonstick Pans (wilton.com).
†Visit teatimemagazine.com/extras to learn how to make candied lemon curls.