Your guests will feel like royalty when you present these Lavender Cream Scones, garnished with fresh lavender flowers for an air of elegance.
Downloads:Lavender Cream Scones
2 cups self-rising flour*
¼ cup sugar
¼ cup cold salted butter
2 teaspoons dried lavender†
1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
½ cup cold heavy whipping cream
1 large egg
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 recipe Confectioners’ Sugar Glaze
(see Download for recipe)
Garnish: fresh lavender flowers
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour and sugar, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add lavender and lemon zest, stirring well. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine cream, egg, and vanilla extract, whisking well. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring to combine. Continue to bring dough together with hands. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until uniformly moist.)
• Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 3 to 4 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ½-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 12 rounds from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones on prepared baking sheet.
• Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes. Remove scones to a wire rack, and let cool completely.
• Spread Confectioners’ Sugar Glaze over scones.
• Garnish with lavender flowers, if desired.
*We used King Arthur Self-Rising Flour.
†Food-grade lavender can be found in the spice section of most grocery stores or may be ordered at svtea.com.
Note: These scones are best if eaten the same day they are made.