Downloads:Vanilla Bean Pastry Cream
1 1/4 cups whole milk
1 vanilla bean, split in half lengthwise, scraped, and seeds and pod reserved
3 large egg yolks
1/4 cup castor sugar
2 tablespoons cornstarch
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
• In a small saucepan, combine milk and reserved vanilla seeds and pod. Heat over medium-high heat until bubbles begin to form, but do not boil milk. Steep for 5 minutes. Remove and discard pod.
• In a medium bowl, combine egg yolks, sugar, cornstarch, and flour, whisking well. Slowly add approximately ¼ cup hot vanilla milk to egg mixture. Slowly add remainder of hot milk, whisking constantly. Return mixture to saucepan.
• Cook over low heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Pour into a clean bowl, and cover surface of custard with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to a day.
• In a mixing bowl, beat cream at high speed with an electric mixer until cream thickens and stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream gently into cooled custard until combined.
• Refrigerate in an airtight container until needed, up to 4 hours.