Welcome the summer season with the tropical taste of coconut, a cool creamy filling, and decadently rich cream-cheese frosting.
Downloads:Royal Coconut Cake
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups sugar
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, cut into cubes and softened
1 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 cup Vanilla Syrup (see Download for recipe)
1 recipe Coconut Cream Filling (see Download for recipe)
1 recipe Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting (see Download for recipe)
Garnish: grated or shredded coconut
• Preheat the oven to 350°. Butter 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Line the bottoms with waxed or parchment paper, and grease the paper. Dust the bottom and sides of the pans with flour, shaking out the excess.
• In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
• In a separate large bowl, and using an electric mixer at medium speed, beat the sugar and eggs for 1 minute. Gradually add the butter, milk, and vanilla extract, and continue beating for 2 more minutes. Reduce the speed to low, add the flour mixture, and beat for 1 minute.
• Divide the batter evenly among the prepared pans. Bake in the center of the oven for 20 minutes, or until a cake tester inserted near the center comes out clean. Transfer the pans to racks, and let cool for 20 minutes. Invert the cake layers onto the racks to cool completely.
• Using a pastry brush, brush the tops of each cake layer with the Vanilla Syrup, allowing syrup to soak into layers.
• Place one cake layer on a cake plateau or stand; spread with half of Coconut Cream Filling, then top with a second layer. Spread the second layer with the remaining filling, and top with the third layer. Evenly frost the sides and top of the cake with the Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting. Garnish with grated or shredded coconut, if desired.