These Gluten-Free Lemon-Thyme Scones are light and delicious, and are the perfect treat for a leisurely springtime tea.
Downloads:Gluten-Free Lemon-Thyme Scones
2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour*
¼ cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup cold salted butter
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons fresh lemon zest
1½ cups plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
¼ teaspoon lemon extract
Garnish: Strawberry Curd
(see Download for recipe) and fresh thyme
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Spray a 16-well mini scone pan† with nonstick spray. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add thyme and lemon zest, stirring to combine. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine 1½ cups cream and lemon extract, stirring well. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring just until a soft dough forms. (If mixture seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.)
• Divide dough evenly among wells of prepared pan, pressing to create a level surface. Brush each scone with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
• Bake until edges are light golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, approximately 24 minutes.
• Garnish with Strawberry Curd and fresh thyme, if desired.
*We used Glutino gluten-free all-purpose flour (glutino.com). Using another brand may yield different results. Sift or whisk flour before measuring.
†We used a Nordic Ware Mini Scone Pan (nordicware.com).