Add a special flavor to your spring tea with these Apricot Sponge Cakes, frosted with Cream Cheese Frosting and topped with apricot jam.
Downloads:Apricot Sponge Cakes
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup whole milk
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
8 large eggs
1 cup sugar
1 cup apricot jam, melted
1 recipe Cream Cheese Frosting
(see Download for recipe)
Garnish: apricot slices and fresh mint leaves
• Preheat oven to 350°.
• Line a 17-x-12-inch rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Spray with nonstick baking spray. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Set aside.
• In a small bowl, combine milk, melted butter, vanilla extract, and almond extract, whisking well. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine eggs and sugar. Beat at medium-high speed with an electric mixer until very fluffy and light, approximately 8 minutes. Add flour mixture alternately with milk mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture, beating until combined. Pour into prepared baking sheet, spreading with an offset spatula to smooth and level.
• Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, approximately 15 minutes. Let cake cool in pan.
• Using a 2½-inch round cutter, cut 20 rounds from cake.
• Spread 1 tablespoon jam onto top side of 1 cake round. Invert onto a second cake round with top to the inside. Repeat with remaining cake rounds.
• Using an offset spatula, spread Cream Cheese Frosting thickly but smoothly onto sides of all cakes. Using a serrated cake-etching tool, etch a design in frosting on the outside of cake. Spread 1 tablespoon apricot jam onto top of cake.
• Garnish with apricot slices and fresh mint leaves, if desired.