An original concept, Fruit Sushi highlights strawberries, kiwi, and mango.
Downloads:Fruit Sushi Recipe
1/4 cup sushi rice
1 (13.5-ounce) can coconut milk
1/4 cup water
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/8 teaspoon salt
4 strawberries, hulled and thinly sliced
1/2 kiwi, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 mango, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
1/2 cup shelled pistachios
1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
• In a medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the
rice, coconut milk, water, sugar, lemon juice, and salt. Bring
to a boil. Reduce heat to medium, and stir constantly until
the rice is tender and the coconut milk is absorbed. Let rice
mixture cool slightly.
• Line a sushi mat with plastic wrap, and spoon half of the
cooled rice mixture onto the center of the mat. With moistened
fingers, press the rice mixture into a rectangle, covering
most of the mat. Place half of the strawberries and half of the
kiwi down the middle.
• Hold the edge of the mat and the plastic wrap with your
thumbs, and roll the sushi away from you. Evenly pull and
lightly squeeze the mat as you are rolling, being careful not
to roll the plastic wrap into the sushi. Repeat with remaining
rice, strawberries, and kiwi.
• Layer mango slices on top of each finished sushi roll. Wrap
each roll tightly with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, pulse the pistachios and
oil together until a thick paste forms. With a sharp, moistened
knife, slice each roll into about 8 pieces.
• Serve chilled with a small mound of pistachio paste, if desired.