1/2 cup warm water (105° to 115°)
1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
1/4 cup sugar, divided
5 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground mustard
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 cups low-fat buttermilk
4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
• In a small bowl, combine water, yeast, and 1 tablespoon sugar.
Let stand for 10 minutes, or until foamy.
• In a large bowl, whisk together remaining sugar, flour, Parmesan,
baking powder, baking soda, salt, mustard, ginger, and pepper
until well combined.
• Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until mixture resembles
coarse crumbs. Pour in yeast mixture and buttermilk. Stir
until just moistened. Cover bowl with plastic wrap, and refrigerate
for 1 hour.
• Preheat oven to 450˚. Line two baking sheets with parchment
paper. Set aside.
• Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; knead lightly 5
times. Roll dough to 1⁄2-inch thickness, and cut with a 2-inch
biscuit cutter, rerolling dough as necessary but no more than 2
times. Place biscuits on prepared baking sheets, and brush tops
with melted butter.
• Bake for 8 minutes or until golden brown. Cool before serving.