Black tea gives our deviled eggs an interesting depth of flavor.
Downloads:Black-Tea-Infused Deviled Eggs
9 large eggs
8 cups water
3 black peppercorns
3 tablespoons black tea leaves
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons mayonnaise
1/4 cup chopped green olives
1/4 cup pancetta, cooked and crumbled
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon salt
• In a large heavy-bottom saucepan, cover the eggs with water, and add
peppercorns. Cover, and bring to a gentle boil. Boil for 10 to 12 minutes.
Gently remove eggs from pan, reserving water. Place the eggs
under cold running water for 2 minutes. When eggs are cool, gently
roll the eggs along a hard surface lined with paper towels, lightly cracking
the shells. Avoid detaching the shells from the eggs.
• Add the tea leaves and salt to the reserved water, and return the
cracked eggs to the pan. Add more water, if needed, to cover eggs.
• Set the pan over medium-high heat, and bring to a gentle boil. Cover,
turn off the heat, and allow the eggs to soak in the pan for 1 hour,
until cooled completely. Gently remove eggs, and remove and discard
• Slice the eggs in half lengthwise, and remove the yolks. Discard 1
whole cooked egg white.
• In the work bowl of a food processor, combine the egg yolks, mayonnaise,
olives, pancetta, pepper, and salt. Pulse until smooth. Spoon
the yolk mixture into a pastry bag fitted with a medium tip, and pipe
the mixture evenly into egg-white halves.