Combining a holiday favorite with a teatime staple, our Eggnog Scones hit the mark.
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon coarse salt
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
4 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons eggnog
1 large egg, lightly beaten
• Preheat oven to 375˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper;
• In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder,
salt, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Using a pastry blender, cut butter
and shortening into flour mixture until mixture resembles
• In a small bowl, whisk together eggnog and egg. Pour eggnog
mixture into flour mixture, and stir until just moistened. Dough
will be moist and sticky.
• Drop scones by heaping spoonfuls onto prepared baking sheet.
(Or, if dough allows, on a lightly floured surface, roll dough to
a 3/4-inch thickness. Cut 10 to 12 small triangle-shaped scones,
and place on prepared baking sheet.)
• Bake for 9 to 12 minutes, or until light golden brown.