No holiday gathering is complete without gingerbread men. Serve a cup of tea with our delicious Gingerbread Scones for a superb pairing.
2 cups self-rising flour
1/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into cubes
1/3 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup unsulfured molasses
1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 pieces candied ginger, cut into 1/8-inch squares
1 cup cold heavy cream
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
• Preheat oven to 400˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, brown sugar, ginger,
cinnamon, and cloves. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into
flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse meal. Set aside.
• In a medium bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and molasses.
Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, and stir until dough is
just combined (dough will be sticky).
• Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface, and pat into a
1/2-inch-thick circle. Using a small gingerbread-man cutter, cut
12 scones, gathering scraps and rerolling as necessary. Place
scones on the prepared baking sheet.
• Using a pastry brush, brush tops of scones with beaten egg, and
place two squares of candied ginger on center of body to make
• Bake for 8 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a wire
rack to cool.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at medium-high
speed, beat the cream and confectioners’ sugar until soft peaks
form. Serve scones with whipped cream.