Dried currants and orange zest give these scones their bright and tangy bite.
2 cups all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/2 cup dried currants
1 teaspoon fresh orange zest
3/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
• Preheat oven to 450˚. Stack 2 baking sheets together, and line
the top pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
• In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, and
salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender or fork, cut butter
into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
• Add the currants and orange zest to the flour-butter mixture,
and toss to combine.
• In a small bowl, combine the milk and lemon juice. Set aside
for 10 minutes.
• Add the milk mixture and egg to the flour mixture, and stir
until dough just comes together. Do not overmix.
• Transfer dough to a floured surface, and knead gently 4 or 5
times. Pat or roll the dough into a 1 1/2-inch-thick circle. Using
a 2-inch round cutter, cut dough into 12 scones, rerolling
dough as needed. Place the scones on the prepared baking
sheet. Brush the tops with the cream.
• Bake for 10 minutes, or until edges are lightly brown. Transfer
to a wire rack to cool.