Similar to biscotti, mandel bread is an Old-World bread perfect for serving alongside a cup of tea or on a dessert tray.
Downloads:Banana-Chocolate Chip Mandel Bread Recipe
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup mashed banana
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips
• Preheat oven to 350°. Line a baking sheet with parchment
paper. Set aside.
• In large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder,
and salt. Set aside.
• In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, banana,
and vanilla extract until well combined.
• Stir egg mixture into flour mixture until dough is combined
but still crumbly. Stir in the walnuts and chocolate chips.
• Turn the mixture out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead
just until dough holds together. Cut dough in half, and shape
each half into a 10-x-2-inch log. Place logs on the prepared
baking sheet, spacing 3 inches apart. Bake for 26 minutes, or
• Transfer each log to a cutting board, and cool for 5 minutes.
Cut logs crosswise into 1-inch-wide slices. Place slices upright
on baking sheet, spacing 1/4 inch apart. Bake for 10 to 12
minutes, or until golden. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
(Cookies will become crisp as they cool.)