Melted butterscotch chips and ground almonds make this sweet and airy dessert even better.
2 large egg whites
1/8 teaspoon cream of tartar
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup butterscotch chips, melted
1/2 cup finely ground toasted slivered almonds
• Preheat oven to 225˚. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
• In a large bowl and using an electric mixer at high speed, beat
egg whites and cream of tartar until soft peaks form. Slowly add
sugar, beating until stiff peaks form. Add almond extract, and
beat to combine.
• Spoon egg-white mixture into a piping bag fitted with a star tip,
and pipe 2-inch rounds on the prepared baking sheet.
• Bake for 75 to 90 minutes, or until meringues are crisp to the
touch. Turn oven off, and allow meringues to remain in the oven
for 1 hour, or until completely crisp and dry.
• Dip bottoms of meringues in melted butterscotch chips, and
then into ground almonds. Return coated meringues to the
parchment-lined baking sheet. Allow coating to harden completely.