These mini sandwich cookies with a Hazelnut spread filling are a sweet treat.
Mini Hazelnut Sandwich Cookies
Yield: approximately 36
Write a review
- ½ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ cup finely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- ⅓ cup chocolate-hazelnut spread*
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar. Beat at high speed with a mixer until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes. Add egg and vanilla extract, beating to combine.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, salt, and baking powder, whisking well. Add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until well combined. Add hazelnuts, stirring well. Divide dough into 2 portions. On plastic wrap, roll each portion into a 1-inch-diameter cylinder. Wrap firmly, and secure to make airtight. Freeze for 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Unwrap frozen cookie dough. Cut into ¼-inch slices. Place slices 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until cookies are golden brown around edges, approximately 10 minutes. Transfer to wire racks, and let cool completely, approximately 30 minutes.
- Place chocolate-hazelnut spread in a piping bag fitted with a medium round tip (Wilton #12). Pipe onto bottom of a cookie. Top with another cookie, placing flat sides together and twisting slightly to evenly distribute filling. Repeat with remaining cookies and chocolate-hazelnut spread.
- Place cookies in an airtight container with waxed paper between layers, and refrigerate until serving time.
- *We used Nutella Hazelnut Spread.
TeaTime Magazine http://www.teatimemagazine.com/