This Roasted Tomato Bisque from “Fireside Tea” in the January/February 2019 issue is full of rich flavor. Order your issue online or pick up a copy at newsstands to get all of the delicious recipes.
Roasted Tomato Bisque
Makes approximately 6 servings
- 3 pounds beefsteak tomatoes, stemmed and cored
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2½ teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: sour cream and ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- Place tomatoes on prepared baking sheet; drizzle with 2 tablespoons oil, and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt.
- Bake until tomatoes are slightly charred, approximately 45 minutes.
- In a large Dutch oven, heat butter and remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic; cook until fragrant, approximately 1 minute. Stir in basil and flour; cook for 1 minute. Whisk in broth, paprika, pepper, and remaining 1½ teaspoons salt until smooth. Add tomatoes and any juices, using the back of a spoon to break up slightly.
- Working in batches, transfer mixture to the container of a blender; blend until smooth. Return to Dutch oven; bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low; simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Serve warm.
- Garnish individual servings with sour cream and pepper, if desired.
Order your January/February 2019 Issue issue online, download the digital edition instantly, or pick it up at newsstands.