Soft and buttery, these Lemon Mexican Wedding Cookies are a citrusy spin on the traditional sweet.
Lemon Mexican Wedding Cookies
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar, plus additional for rolling
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- ½ teaspoon lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Garnish: fresh lemon zest
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and ⅓ cup confectioners’ sugar with a mixer at medium speed until creamy, approximately 2 minutes. Beat in lemon zest, lemon extract, and vanilla extract. Beat in flour and salt until well combined. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Divide cold dough into 36 portions. Roll each portion into a ball. Place balls 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until set but not browned, approximately 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for 5 minutes before rolling cookies in additional confectioners’ sugar. Let cool completely on wire racks. Roll cookies in confectioners’ sugar again. Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- Just before serving, garnish with lemon zest, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!