The unlikely marriage of tart apples and sharp blue cheese in these gluten-free Apple, Blue Cheese, and Walnut Scones makes for a very happy teatime.
Apple, Blue Cheese, and Walnut Scones
Yield: 15 scones • Preparation: 20 minutes • Bake: 22 minutes
Write a review
- 1½ cups gluten-free flour*
- ⅓ cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- ½ cup chopped, peeled tart apple such as Granny Smith
- ⅓ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ⅓ cup chopped toasted walnuts
- ¾ cup cold heavy whipping cream
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut
- butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add apple, blue cheese, and walnuts, stirring to combine. Set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring to combine. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop scones 2 inches apart onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 22 minutes.
- Serve warm.
- *We used Gluten Free Pantry all-purpose flour, available at glutino.com. Using another brand may yield different results.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/