Apple-Brie Scones are a delicious fall teatime treat. Serve with rich Honey Butter spread.
Yield: 15 scones • Preparation: 35 minutes • Bake: 20 minutes
Write a review
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 3 tablespoons firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup peeled, diced Gala apple
- ½ cup cubed Brie cheese
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons heavy whipping cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine flours, sugars, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add apple and Brie, stirring to coat with flour mixture. Add cream, reserving 1 tablespoon to brush on tops of scones before baking. Stir until mixture comes together. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time, until dough is uniformly moist.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 15 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones on prepared baking sheet, and brush tops with reserved 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
- Recommended Condiment: Honey Butter
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/
From TeaTime, September/October 2015