These delightful Apple, Cheddar, and Chutney Tea Sandwiches are a beautiful combination of fresh fruit flavor and savory sensations.
Apple, Cheddar and Chutney Tea Sandwiches
- 3 teaspoons Major Grey’s chutney*
- 6 slices firm wheat bread
- 1 large green apple
- 6 slices Cheddar cheese
- Spread chutney onto each bread slice.
- Using a mandoline, cut very thin slices of apple from whole apple. (Cut out and discard core and seeds from slices, if necessary.)
- Place a cheese slice on each of 3 bread slices. Cover cheese with apple slices, overlapping as necessary. Cover apple layer with another slice of cheese, and top with remaining bread slices, chutney side down.
- Using a serrated bread knife, trim crusts from sandwiches, creating 3-inch squares. (Discard crusts.) Cut sandwiches diagonally into quarters, creating 4 triangles.
*Several companies make Major Grey’s chutney, a relish made with mangos, raisins, onions, vinegar, and spices. Look for jars of this condiment in the pickle section or the British foods section of most grocery stores.