These delectable Apple-Cheddar Scones pair perfectly with a refreshing cup of tea.
Serves: 13 to 14
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup shredded extra-sharp white Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup diced, unpeeled Gala apples
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese and apples, stirring well. Add 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold cream, stirring with a fork just until dry ingredients are moistened. Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until smooth by patting dough and folding it in half 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter dipped in flour, cut scones without twisting cutter, rerolling once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!