These toothsome Apple-Cranberry Scones are the perfect taste of fall flavor.
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground mace
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 1 cup diced peeled Gala apple
- ½ cup chopped frozen cranberries
- ¾ cup plus 3 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: additional granulated sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and mace. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add apple and cranberries, stirring well.
- In a small bowl, stir together cream and vanilla extract. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a 1-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut 10 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle tops of scones with additional sugar, if desired.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean 18 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!