These Apple Crumb Bars, with layers of thinly sliced apples and a sweet crumb crust, are a truly delectable autumn indulgence.
Apple Crumb Bars
Yield: 16 bars • Preparation: 25 minutes • Bake: 35 to 40 minutes
Write a review
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup quick-cooking oats
- ¾ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon ground mace
- ¾ cup salted butter
- 4 cups peeled and thinly sliced Golden Delicious apple
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: apple slices
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line an 8-inch square baking pan with aluminum foil, and spray with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, oats, brown sugar, baking soda, and mace, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Use your fingers to work mixture until it is uniformly moist and clumps together. Reserve ¾ cup crumb mixture for topping.
- Press remainder of crumb mixture into the bottom of prepared pan, pressing firmly and creating a level surface. Arrange apple slices on top of crumb base.
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar, water, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil over medium heat, whisking constantly. Cook until mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and add vanilla extract, whisking to blend. Pour mixture evenly over apple layer. Sprinkle reserved crumbs evenly over apple layer.
- Bake until apples are tender and crumb topping is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- Cut into 16 bars.
- Garnish with apple slices, if desired.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/