These Apple Tartlets with Brown Sugar Cream are a decadent treat.
Apple Tartlets with Brown Sugar Cream
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 6 small to medium red apples,
- such as Gala or Fuji
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- ¼ cup sour cream
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 450°. Lightly spray 6 (4-inch) removable-bottom tartlet pans with cooking spray.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll piecrusts. Using a 4½-inch round cutter, cut 6 circles from dough. Press dough circles into bottom and up sides of prepared tartlet pans, trimming excess as necessary. Using the large end of a chopstick, press dough into indentations in sides of tartlet pans. Prick bottoms of crusts with a fork.
- Place prepared tartlet pans on a rimmed baking sheet. Freeze for 15 minutes.
- Bake tartlet shells until lightly golden brown, approximately 7 minutes. Let cool completely in tartlet pans before removing from pans.
- Using a sharp knife, cut very thin vertical slices from apples, discarding cores.
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar and 2 cups water. Bring just to a boil, stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Add apple slices to sugar mixture, and cook over low heat just until apples are tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool completely.
- Drain cooked apple slices, reserving syrup.
- In a small bowl, stir together sour cream and brown sugar. Spread an even layer of sour cream mixture into each tartlet shell.
- Fold an apple slice in half, and then in half again. Place on top of cream mixture in tartlet shell. Add apple slices in this manner until tartlet shells are filled and apples resemble flower petals.
- Brush apples with reserved syrup. Serve immediately.