These delectable Apricot, Chocolate & Walnut Scones served with a dreamy Scone Cream make a delightful starter to a Hanukkah tea.
Apricot, Chocolate & Walnut Scones
Serves: 9 to 11
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- ¾ cup finely chopped dried apricots
- ⅓ cup finely chopped walnuts, toasted and cooled
- ⅓ cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 large egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add apricots, stirring to coat with flour. Add walnuts and chocolate chips, stirring to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 cup cream, egg, and vanilla extract. Add cream mixture to flour mixture, stirring until evenly moist. Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead dough 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 3¼-inch Star of David–shaped cutter, cut as many scones as possible from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary. Place scones 1 inch apart on prepared baking sheet. Freeze baking sheet with scones for 15 minutes.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve warm.
Serves: Approximately 2 cups
- 2 ounces cream cheese, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon confectioners’ sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup cold heavy whipping cream
- In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, and salt with a mixer at medium speed until well combined and smooth. Gradually add cold cream, beating until very thick. Cover, and refrigerate until needed, up to 3 days.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!