Slightly sweet and slightly salty, these Apricot-Pistachio Scones are delicious for teatime.
- 1¼ cups bread flour
- 1¼ cups cake flour
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ cup plus 1 teaspoon cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup dried apricots, diced
- ⅓ cup pistachios, finely chopped and toasted
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon whole buttermilk
- 2 large eggs, divided
- 1 teaspoon water
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together bread flour, cake flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add apricots and pistachios, stirring well.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk and 1 egg. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and gently knead 5 to 7 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch round cutter, cut 15 scones from dough, rerolling scraps as necessary.
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1 teaspoon water and remaining 1 egg. Brush top of scones with egg wash.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in centers comes out clean, 15 to 20 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!