Fresh dill and a hint of Dijon mustard give these Avocado-Egg Salad Canapés extra flavor.
Avocado-Egg Salad Canapés
Yield: 48 canapés • Preparation: 30 minutes • Thaw: 15 minutes • Bake: 10 minutes • Cool: 30 minutes
Write a review
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, peeled
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Dijon-style mustard
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh dill
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 9 slices pumpernickel sandwich bread, frozen
- 3 avocados
- 1 whole lemon, cut into quarters
- Garnish: fresh dill sprigs
- In a medium bowl and using a pastry blender, chop eggs into small pieces. Add mayonnaise, mustard, dill, and salt, stirring to blend. Cover, and refrigerate until cold, approximately 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using a 1½-inch scalloped-edge round cutter, cut 48 rounds from bread slices, discarding scraps. Place bread in a single layer on prepared baking sheet. Cover with damp paper towels, and let bread thaw slightly (approximately 15 minutes) before toasting.
- Remove paper towels, and bake for 10 minutes. Let cool completely, and store in a resealable plastic bag until needed.
- Peel whole avocadoes, and cut into thin vertical slices. Squeeze lemon juice over slices to prevent browning. Using the same cutter as for bread, cut 48 rounds from avocado slices.
- Place an avocado slice on top of each toasted bread round. Using a levered 2-teaspoon scoop, place egg salad on top of avocado rounds.
- Garnish with dill sprigs, if desired.
- Serve immediately, or refrigerate, lightly covered,
- for up to 30 minutes before serving.
- • Bread rounds can be made earlier in the day and stored in an airtight container at room temperature until needed.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!