Make your own sweet potato chips in the microwave for these Bacon Dip and Sweet Potato Canapés.
Bacon Dip and Sweet Potato Canapés
Yield: 30 canapés (approximately 6 servings) Preparation: 35 minutes • Cook: 15 minutes
Write a review
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled
- ¼ teaspoon plus ⅛ teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon salted butter
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 teaspoon heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped cooked bacon
- Garnish: watercress
- Using a mandolin, slice sweet potato very thinly. Blot slices dry on paper towels.
- Arrange sweet potato chips in a single layer on a microwave chip maker*. Sprinkle lightly with ⅛ teaspoon salt. Microwave on High for 3 minutes, stopping at 1-minute intervals to check chips for crispness/browning. Let chips cool completely. Store in an airtight container. (Chips are best made and served the same day.)
- In a small sauté pan, melt butter over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, and add onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until onion is caramelized and tender, approximately 10 minutes. Let cool completely, and then chop very finely.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, cream, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt. Beat at high speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add onion and bacon, stirring well.
- Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large open-star tip (Wilton #1M), and pipe onto chips.
- Garnish with watercress, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- *We used a Pampered Chef microwave chip maker, which is available at pamperedchef.com.
- • Dip can be made a day in advance and refrigerated in a covered container. Let come to room temperature before using.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/