End your tea on an extra sweet note with these charming cherry-filled Baked Heart Tartlets.
Baked Heart Tartlets
Yield: approximately 1½ dozen tartlets • Preparation: 20 minutes • Bake: 20 minutes • Cool: 10 minutes
Write a review
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen cherries, thawed
- ¼ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cool water
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package prepared pie dough (2 sheets)
- 1 large egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons coarse sanding sugar
- Garnish: Wilton Edible Gold Heart Glitter*
- In a small saucepan, combine cherries and sugar. Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until sugar is dissolved, approximately 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together water and cornstarch. Add cornstarch mixture to cherry mixture. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly, and continue to cook until mixture thickens, 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from heat, and cool completely.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Using a rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, flatten dough slightly. Using a 4-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut as many hearts as possible.
- In a small bowl, whisk together egg yolk and water to make an egg wash. Using a pastry brush, lightly coat a 1-inch border on half of dough hearts.
- Place approximately 1½ tablespoons cherry mixture in the centers of dough hearts brushed with egg wash. Top with remaining dough hearts. Using a fork, press gently to seal edges. Transfer to prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of hearts with remaining egg wash. Sprinkle with sanding sugar.
- Bake until golden brown, approximately 20 minutes. Remove from oven, and cool for 10 minutes.
- Garnish serving platter with edible glitter, if desired.
- *Wilton Edible Gold Heart Glitter can be found at wilton.com.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/