These miniature versions of the Mardi-Gras staple, Bananas Foster, are presented as delectable tartlets.
Bananas Foster Tartlets
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup canned caramel milk (dulce de leche)
- 4 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon water
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 8 (3.15-inch) shortbread tart shells*
- 3 bananas
- ½ cup vanilla ice cream
- Garnish: fresh mint
- In a small bowl, combine mascarpone and caramel milk. Beat at medium-high speed with a mixer until smooth and creamy.
- In a small sauté pan, combine butter, brown sugar, dark rum, water, cinnamon, and salt over medium heat, and cook, stirring until butter and sugar melt and mixture is blended. Add vanilla extract, stirring well. Keep warm over very low heat.
- Spread mascarpone mixture into bottom of tart shells, smoothing top to create a level surface. Slice bananas thinly and shingle in a circle on top of mascarpone mixture. Spoon warm brown sugar sauce over bananas. Top with a scoop of ice cream.
- Garnish with fresh mint, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
*We used Clearbrook Farms Mini Bite-Size Sweet Tart Shells.
From TeaTime January/February 2016
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!