These charming, heart-shaped Beet & Goat Cheese Canapés make the perfect savory to serve for a lovely Valentine’s Day tea. Beet & Goat Cheese Canapés pictured with Smoked Turkey & Red Apple Tea Sandwiches.
- 3 (12.5-ounce) red beets, stemmed
- 1 (8-ounce) package goat cheese
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon honey
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh lemon zest and watercress
- In a medium saucepan, cover beets by 2 inches with water, and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, 30 to 45 minutes. Drain, and remove skins from beets. Let cool completely.
- Cut beets crosswise into ¼-inch-thick round slices. Using a 2×1½-inch heart-shaped cutter, cut 36 shapes from beet slices. Let drain between paper towels until ready to assemble.
- In a medium bowl, beat together goat cheese, lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper with a mixer at medium speed until smooth. Transfer goat cheese mixture to a piping bag fitted with a small round tip (Wilton #6).
- Place heart-shaped cutter upright on a work surface, and place one beet heart inside cutter. Pipe a thin layer (approximately ¼-inch thick) of goat cheese mixture onto beet layer inside cutter. Repeat layers once. Top with a third beet heart. Gently use one hand to hold canapé in place while lifting and removing cutter with other hand. Repeat with remaining beet hearts and goat cheese mixture. Serve immediately.
- Garnish with lemon zest and watercress, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!