These toothsome Blue Cheese & Bacon Scones make a delectable and unexpected treat for teatime.
Blue Cheese & Bacon Scones
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ⅔ cup blue cheese crumbles
- ½ cup chopped lightly crisp cooked center-cut bacon (approximately 8 slices)
- 1 cup plus 5 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese and bacon, stirring well. Add 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons cold cream to flour mixture, stirring until a dough begins to form. (If mixture seems dry and dough won’t come together, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface, and knead gently until smooth by patting dough and folding it in half 5 to 7 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch square cutter dipped in flour, cut 12 scones from dough, rerolling scraps once. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Brush tops of scones with remaining 2 tablespoons cream.
- Bake until edges of scones are lightly browned, 20 to 22 minutes. Serve warm.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!