Fresh blueberries, basil, and Simple Syrup give delicious flavor to Blueberry-Basil Creamy Parfaits.
Blueberry-Basil Creamy Parfaits
- 4 large egg yolks
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 1 cup whole milk
- ¾ cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1¼ teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¾ cup fresh blueberries
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 recipe Simple Syrup (recipe follows)
- Garnish: fresh basil sprigs
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine egg yolks and sugar, stirring well. Add cornstarch, stirring until a smooth paste forms.
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk and ½ cup cream. Cook over medium-high heat until very hot, but not boiling. Remove from heat, and gradually add to egg mixture, whisking constantly to temper eggs. Return mixture to saucepan, and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens. Remove from heat. Add vanilla extract, stirring until incorporated.
- Transfer mixture to a medium heatproof bowl. Immediately place a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface of custard to prevent it from forming a skin while cooling. Let cool to room temperature.
- Refrigerate until cold, at least 4 hours and up to a day.
- In a medium mixing bowl and using a mixer fitted with a whisk attachment, beat remaining ¼ cup cream at high speed until thickened. Add to custard, whisking until incorporated and smooth. Divide custard mixture among 6 small parfait glasses.
- In a medium bowl, combine blueberries, chopped basil, and Simple Syrup, tossing until blended. Top custard with blueberry mixture.
- Garnish with basil sprigs, if desired.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup water
- In a small saucepan, combine sugar and water. Cook over high heat until sugar dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and let cool to room temperature.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator until needed, up to a week.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!