These delectable Blueberry & Lavender Scones are perfect for spring and summer gatherings.
Blueberry & Lavender Scones
Serves: 9 to 10
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon culinary-grade dried lavender, ground
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cubed
- ¾ cup cold whole buttermilk
- 1 cup fresh blueberries, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Garnish: fresh lavender
- Preheat oven to 400°. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and ground lavender. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut in cold butter until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add cold buttermilk, stirring until a dough forms. (If dough seems dry, add more buttermilk, 1 tablespoon at a time.)
- Turn out dough onto a heavily floured surface, and gently knead until smooth, 5 to 7 times. Using a rolling pin, roll out dough into a ¼-inch-thick (approximately 9-inch) square. Using a sharp knife, cut dough into 4 equal portions. Scatter ⅓ cup blueberries on a dough portion. Top with another dough portion, and scatter another ⅓ cup blueberries on dough. Top with a third dough portion, and scatter remaining ⅓ cup blueberries on dough. Top with remaining dough portion. Gently press down on dough stack to adhere layers.
- Using a rolling pin, gently roll out dough stack to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2-inch fluted square cutter, cut as many scones as possible from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Freeze for 10 minutes. Brush tops of scones with beaten egg.
- Bake until edges of scones are golden brown, 12 to 14 minutes. Serve warm.
- Garnish with lavender, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!