Add a little crunch to your dessert tray with these beautiful brandy snaps. Filled with Lady Grey Cream and garnished with edible flowers, this treat is sure to please! You can order edible flowers from Gourmet Sweet Botanical.
IMPORTANT: African violets, which are the flowers pictured, are not edible and should not be used to garnish food. The common blue violet is edible and is what we should have used. For more information about edible violets, please visit https://garden.org/learn/articles/view/4133/.
- 6 pointed waffle ice-cream cones
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon ground allspice
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ¼ cup castor sugar
- 2 tablespoons corn syrup
- ½ teaspoon brandy
- 1 recipe Lady Grey Cream
- Garnish: fresh edible flowers*
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Line 2 baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Set aside.
- Wrap ice-cream cones in aluminum foil. Spray foil with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine flour and allspice, whisking well. Set aside.
- In a small saucepan, combine butter, sugar, and corn syrup, whisking over medium-low heat until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Remove from heat. Add flour mixture and brandy to butter mixture, stirring until incorporated.
- Using a levered 1-teaspoon scoop and working in batches, drop 6 scoops of batter 4 inches apart onto each prepared baking sheet. (For final batch, use a cooled prepared baking sheet.)
- Bake until cookies have spread, are lacelike, and are golden brown around edges, 8 to 9 minutes. Remove from oven, and let cool on baking sheet until firm enough to lift with a thin-edged spatula, approximately 1 minute.
- Using a spatula and working quickly, lift each cookie from baking sheet, and wrap around pointed end of a prepared ice-cream cone. Wrap each cookie around cone, overlapping 2 edges to form a cone shape. Let cool completely before removing from cone. (With each batch, spray prepared ice-cream cones lightly with nonstick cooking spray.)
- Place Lady Grey Cream in a piping bag fitted with a medium (Wilton #21) open-star tip, and pipe into cookie cones.
- Garnish with edible flowers, if desired.
- Serve immediately.
- * We used edible flowers from Gourmet Sweet Botanicals.
- 1¾ cups heavy whipping cream
- 6 bags Lady Grey tea*
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 to 4 drops yellow food coloring
- In a small saucepan, scald cream over medium-high heat, but do not boil. Add tea bags to saucepan, and let steep for 15 minutes. Remove and discard tea bags.
- Place tea-infused cream in a covered container, and refrigerate until cold, at least 6 hours.
- In a mixing bowl, beat tea-infused cream at high speed with an electric mixer until soft peaks form. Add confectioners’ sugar, and beat until cream doubles in volume. Tint whipped cream with yellow food coloring, if desired.
- *We used Twinings Lady Grey Tea.
- • Store cookie cones at room temperature in an airtight container for up to a day until ready to fill.
From, May/June 2013
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!