Bake these delicious Brown Sugar and Cream Cheese Scones for your next tea party.
Brown Sugar and Cream Cheese Scones
Yield: 12 • Bake: approximately 20 minutes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cut into cubes
- ¾ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold heavy whipping cream, divided
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Garnish: turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cream cheese, stirring to combine, but leave in cubes.
- In a liquid-measuring cup, combine ¾ cup plus 1 tablespoon cream and vanilla extract, stirring to blend. Add to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If dough seems dry, add more cream, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface. Knead gently 4 to 5 times. Using a rolling pin, roll dough to a ¾-inch thickness. Using a 2¼-inch fluted round cutter, cut 12 scones from dough. Place scones 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet. Brush tops of scones with remaining 1 tablespoon cream.
- Garnish tops of scones with turbinado sugar, if desired.
- Bake until edges are golden brown and a wooden pick inserted in the centers comes out clean, approximately 20 minutes.
- Serve warm.
Recommended Condiments: Clotted Cream, Strawberry Jam
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!