A combination of marjoram, ginger, and sage give these savory canapés a robust flavor perfect for the holidays.
Butternut Squash, Lentil & Spinach Canapés
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, divided
- ½ cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can lentil soup, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed, drained, and squeezed dry
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- ¼ cup heavy whipping cream, divided
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh sage
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups diced butternut squash
- 30 crackers*
- Garnish: fresh sage leaves
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray a 9-inch round cake pan with cooking spray.
- In a large sauté pan, heat 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, cooking until fragrant, approximately 3 minutes. Add marjoram, stirring well. Remove from heat. Let cool completely.
- In a large bowl, stir together onion mixture, lentils, spinach, bread crumbs, egg, and 2 tablespoons cream. Press mixture into bottom of prepared cake pan.
- Bake until edges pull away from side and are golden brown, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Invert pan to release lentil cake onto a wire rack. Let cool completely.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, melt remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Add sage, ginger, ½ teaspoon salt, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper, stirring well. Add squash, stirring until completely coated in butter mixture. Spread squash mixture in a single layer on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until tender, approximately 20 minutes. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes.
- Transfer baked squash mixture to a large bowl. Using a mixer at medium speed, beat together squash and remaining 2 tablespoons cream until completely smooth. Transfer mixture to a piping bag fitted with a large star tip (Wilton #4B). Pipe a small amount of squash mixture onto center of each cracker.
- Using a 1⅜ -inch round cutter, cut 30 rounds from lentil cake. Place a lentil round on each cracker, gently pressing to adhere. Pipe a rosette of squash mixture onto tops of lentil cakes.
- Garnish with sage, if desired.
*We used Breton crackers.