Butternut squash, shrimp, carrots, celery, garlic, and onion combine to create scrumptious soup.
Butternut Squash & Shrimp Soup
Makes 8 cups
- 2 tablespoons plus 1½ teaspoons unsalted butter, divided
- 1½ cups chopped yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped carrot
- ½ cup chopped celery
- 4 cups cubed butternut squash
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme, tied with butcher’s twine
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
- ¾ teaspoon curry powder, divided
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 1 pound jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
- In a medium Dutch oven, melt 1½ teaspoons butter over medium-high heat. Add onion, and cook until translucent, approximately 5 minutes. Add garlic, and cook for 1 minute. Add carrot and celery, stirring to combine, and cook for 5 minutes. Add squash, broth, thyme, ½ teaspoons salt, ½ teaspoon curry powder, and ⅛ teaspoon pepper. Bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and let simmer until vegetables are tender, approximately 25 minutes.
- Remove and discard thyme. Reserve 1 cup soup broth.
- Using a slotted spoon, working in batches, transfer cooked vegetables to a blender. Purée until smooth.
- Return puréed vegetables and reserved broth to pot. Heat over medium heat.
- In a large bowl, stir together shrimp, remaining ½ teaspoon salt, remaining ¼ teaspoon curry, and remaining ⅛ teaspoon pepper.
- In a large skillet, melt 1 tablespoon butter. Add half of shrimp, cooking until shrimp are pink and opaque, approximately 1 minute per side. Transfer cooked shrimp to a large heatproof bowl. Repeat with remaining 1 tablespoon butter and remaining half of shrimp. Divide shrimp among individual servings of soup.
- Garnish with thyme, if desired.