Colorful scones provide a delicious alternative to the traditional holiday fruitcake.
Candied Fruit Scones
Yield: 12 scones • Preparation: 10 minutes • Bake: 4 minutes
Write a review
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons cold cream cheese
- 8 ounces mixed candied fruit
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons half-and-half, divided
- ¼ cup confectioners’ sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt, whisking to remove any lumps. Using a pastry blender, cut butter and cream cheese into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add candied fruit, stirring to combine. Add 1 cup half-and-half, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. (If mixture seems dry, add more half-and-half, 1 tablespoon at a time, until a dough forms.)
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into a 1-inch-thick square. Cut into 12 squares. Place scones on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until lightly golden, 11 to 14 minutes. Cool completely on pan.
- In a small bowl, combine confectioners’ sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons half-and-half, whisking until smooth. Drizzle over cooled scones.
TeaTime Magazine https://www.teatimemagazine.com/