Candy Cane Cookies
- ¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
- ¼ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- ¼ teaspoon peppermint extract
- ⅛ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅛ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon red liquid food coloring
- 1 tablespoon sanding sugar
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, beat together butter and granulated sugar with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl. Add egg yolk, peppermint extract, and vanilla extract, beating well until combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating just until combined. Divide dough in half. Beat in food coloring to one half.
- Divide plain dough in half, forming into disks. Wrap each portion separately in plastic wrap. Repeat process with red dough. Refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Remove one portion of plain and red-colored doughs. Portion plain dough into ½-inch balls. Using your hands, roll out dough balls to 3-inch ropes. Repeat process with red dough. Place a plain dough rope and a red dough rope next to one another and gently twist together, forming a 4-inch rope. (If dough becomes too soft to work with, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until cold enough to use, approximately 15 minutes.) Repeat with remaining doughs. Place twisted ropes 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets, and curve an end to form a candy cane shape. Freeze for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Sprinkle tops of cookies with sanding sugar.
- Bake until cookies are set, 8 to 10 minutes. Let cool completely on pans on wire racks. Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!