We love these festive Candy Corn Trifles for an afternoon tea!
Candy Corn Trifles
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1½ cups half-and-half
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- ½ cup salted butter, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Orange food coloring
- 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 (3-ounce) packages ladyfingers, chopped
- Garnish: candy corn
- In a medium saucepan, combine granulated sugar and cornstarch. Add half-and-half, egg yolks, and orange zest, whisking to combine. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 1 minute, whisking constantly.
- Remove from heat, and gradually add butter, a piece at a time, whisking until butter melts. Add sour cream and vanilla extract, stirring to combine. Add food coloring, one drop at a time, until desired color is reached. Let mixture cool slightly. Place a sheet of plastic wrap on the surface of custard to prevent it from forming a skin while cooling.
- Refrigerate until cold, approximately 2 hours, before using. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days.
- In a medium bowl, combine cream, cream cheese, and confectioners’ sugar. Beat at low speed speed with a mixer, gradually increasing to medium-high speed, until smooth.
- In 8 small trifle dishes, layer ladyfingers, orange custard, and cream mixture.
- Garnish with candy corn, if desired.
From TeaTime, September/October 2011
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!