These delicate and scrumptious Cardamom Butter Cookies melt in your mouth and are always a huge hit at tea parties.
Cardamom Butter Cookies
Serves: approximately 46
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1¼ cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 2 large eggs, room temperature, lightly beaten
- 2 teaspoons vanilla paste*
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces white chocolate baking bars, finely chopped
- 1½ teaspoons coconut oil
- Garnish: finely chopped shelled raw pistachios
- Preheat oven to 350°. Using a permanent marker, draw 46 (2½x1-inch) rectangles, evenly spaced and parallel on 2 sheets of parchment paper (23 per sheet). Turn parchment over and place on 2 rimmed baking sheets.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat together butter, sugar, and lemon zest at low speed until combined. Increase speed to medium, and beat until creamy, 2 to 3 minutes, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl. Gradually add eggs, beating until well combined after each addition and scraping down sides as needed. Add vanilla paste, beating until incorporated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, cardamom, and salt. With mixer at low speed, gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating until combined. (Dough will be quite thick.)
- Transfer approximately 1 cup dough to a large piping bag fitted with a medium open star tip (Wilton #4B). Pipe small dots of batter under parchment sheets to adhere to baking sheets. Using drawn rectangles as guides, pipe batter in a zigzag pattern on parchment paper. (Dough will take some effort to pipe. If necessary, warm dough in piping bag with hands to make it easier to work with.) Repeat with remaining dough.
- Bake until cookies are set and lightly golden, 10 to 12 minutes, rotating pans once. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes. Transfer to wire racks. Let cool completely.
- In a medium heatproof bowl, combine chocolate and oil. Microwave on high in 10-second intervals, stirring between each, until melted and smooth.
- Line another 1 to 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. Dip cookies in chocolate mixture, as desired; place on prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle with pistachios. Refrigerate until set before serving, approximately 15 minutes.
* We used Heilala Vanilla Paste, available at heilalavanilla.com or 646-360-1198.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!