Carrot and Parsnip Soup
Yield: 2½ quarts
- ¼ cup salted butter
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 3 cups grated carrot
- 3 cups grated parsnip
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ cup heavy whipping cream
- ½ cup sour cream
- Garnish: carrot curls, parsnip curls, carrot leaves
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add carrot, parsnip, and celery. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add chicken broth, coriander, sugar, salt, garlic powder, and white pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
- Transfer soup to a blender, and purée until smooth. Return soup to saucepan over medium heat. Add cream and sour cream, whisking until smooth. Cook until heated through, approximately 22 minutes.
- Garnish individual servings with carrot curls, parsnip curls, and carrot leaves, if desired.
From TeaTime, September/October 2011
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!