Checkered Herb Sandwiches
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- ½ teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ⅛ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 slices white bread
- 5 slices wheat bread
- Garnish: fresh thyme sprigs
- In a medium bowl, beat together cream cheese and butter with a mixer at medium-low speed until smooth. Add parsley, thyme, oregano, rosemary, lemon juice, salt, and pepper, and beat at low speed until combined. Let stand at room temperature while preparing bread.
- Using a serrated bread knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard crusts from each bread slice. Cut each slice into 3 (2¼×1-inch) rectangles.
- On a work surface, arrange 2 wheat bread rectangles with a white bread rectangle in between, long sides together. Lightly spread cream cheese mixture onto sides of white rectangle. Press wheat rectangles on either side of white bread, letting cream cheese mixture act as glue. Spread a thin layer of cream cheese mixture onto bread layer. Arrange 2 white rectangles with a wheat rectangle in between, long sides together. Lightly spread cream cheese mixture onto sides of wheat rectangle. Press white rectangles on either side of wheat rectangle to adhere. Place on top of bottom half of sandwich. Repeat with remaining bread and cream cheese mixture. Wrap sandwiches in damp paper towels and plastic wrap, and refrigerate until set, approximately 2 hours.
- Just before serving, unwrap sandwiches. Using a serrated knife in a gentle sawing motion, trim and discard any uneven ends from sandwiches. Cut each sandwich crossways into 3 (¾-inch) slices.
- Garnish with thyme, if desired.
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!