Loaded with Cheddar and chock full of basil, thyme, and oregano, these Cheddar-Herb Drop Scones are almost a meal in themselves. Watch the video to learn how to make drop scones.
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- ¼ teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons cold salted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- ½ cup plus 2 tablespoons whole milk
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, thyme, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper, whisking well. Using a pastry blender, cut butter into flour mixture until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add cheese, tossing to combine.
- Gradually add milk to flour mixture, stirring until mixture is evenly moist. (If mixture seems dry, add more milk, 1 tablespoon at a time.) Working gently, bring mixture together with hands until a dough forms.
- Using a levered 3-tablespoon scoop, drop dough 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake until scones are golden brown, 18 to 20 minutes.
From Tea & Scones, published in 2016
Discover more seasonal recipes, table settings, and teatime inspiration by ordering your TeaTime subscription today!